You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Be The Match Related Donor Services can help
We offer transplant centers resources to help patients and their related donors. Ask your transplant team if they’re using or considering this program.
More information for patients
More information for related donors
If a related donor transplant is an option for you, the healthy blood-forming cells come from someone in your family. Your donor may be your brother, sister, child or parent.
Your transplant doctor may ask them to come to your hospital to donate the cells for your transplant. But it’s not always easy, or possible, for your donor to travel, especially if they live far away.
Related Donor Services supports:
HLA (human leukocyte antigen) typing
Your transplant doctor uses HLA typing to see if your family member is your best match. First, Be The Match contacts your family member to make sure we have the correct contact information. Then, we’ll either:
- Send them a swab kit in the mail, or
- Schedule a blood draw in a clinic near them (U.S. only)
The swab kit or blood sample is sent for testing. Your doctor will get the results within 3 days.
Your family member is not added to the Be The Match Registry® after they do HLA typing. If they’d like to join the registry, they’ll be given the option to join later.
A Be The Match workup specialist will coordinate your family member’s donation. The workup specialist will:
- Call your family member and guide them through the process.
- Schedule checkups and blood tests for your family member. These help your doctor make sure the donation is safe for you and your donor.
- Coordinate their donation.
If your family member lives outside the United States, Be The Match may be able to work with the registry in their country to coordinate their appointments and donation.
Be The Match safely delivers the cells to you when you need them.
Benefits for your donor
Your family member can have all of their appointments, including donation, scheduled closer to home.
If your family member lives in the United States they will receive:
- Coordinated travel and lodging arrangements, paid for by Be The Match
- Reimbursement for out-of-pocket, donation-related expenses, such as transportation, meals and other incidentals
- Reimbursement for lost wages due to donation
- Donor insurance to cover medical expenses
- Educational resources and support just for them
Benefits for you
When your transplant center uses Related Donor Services for your transplant, you can access Be The Match financial grants.
Questions to ask your doctor
- Which family member is the best donor for me?
- What will my family member have to do to be my donor?
- What resources are available for them?
- Will you use the Be The Match Related Donor Services to help coordinate their HLA testing and donation?
Contact our Patient Support Center to learn more about Related Donor Services and our other support programs for you and your family.
CALL or TEXT: 1 (888) 999-6743
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Central Time