“Support groups are safe spaces to share your
fears and frustrations without feeling judged or misunderstood. Participants in
a support group may understand what you’re experiencing in ways that other
people might not.”
-Katie Schoeppner, MSW, LICSW, Director, Patient Services
Virtual Support Groups
BMT Survivorship Chats
BMT survivors discuss experiences, challenges and insights about life after transplant with other survivors.
Here's what you need to know:
- The chats are facilitated by BMT Social Workers
- Each month, a transplant recovery topic is highlighted for discussion
- Groups are offered two times each month
- If you are interested in a topic, you can sign up for more than one session
Current topics are listed below.
October – Survivor’s guilt
Discussion about the extent of survivor’s guilt and severity. Not everyone experiences survivor’s guilt, but it is important to remember that these feelings are normal.
- Monday, October 2 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, October 19 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
November – Giving thanks
Discussion around saying thank you to those who helped you on your transplant journey including family, medical staff, and your donor, as well as how to say thank you to your donor if you are not able to engage directly.
- Monday, November 6 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, November 16 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
December – Managing fatigue when the demands are high
Considering the experience of post-transplant fatigue during a high-energy season.
- Monday, December 4 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, December 14 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
January – Exercise, health and wellness
Engaging discussion around the reality of integrating exercise, health and wellness into BMT survivorship.
- Monday, January 8 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, January 18 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
February – BMT and sexuality: opening the dialogue
Exploring the impact BMT has on sexuality, intimacy and identity.
- Monday, February 5 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, February 15 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
March – GvHD
An opportunity for education, discussion and support around graft-versus-host disease.
- Monday, March 4 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, March 21 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
April – Exploring methods for coping
Exploring methods for coping that fall outside of standard treatment (journaling, yoga, Tai chi, Reiki, massage, essential oils, guided imagery, mindfulness techniques, humor).
- Monday, April 1 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, April 18 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
May – Navigating relationships as a BMT survivor
Navigating new relationships and re-negotiating existing relationships post-transplant.
- Monday, May 6 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, May 16 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
June – Acceptance and perseverance
Engaging discussion around acceptance and perseverance in BMT survivorship.
- Monday, June 3 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, June 20 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
July – Steroid treatment and effects
An opportunity for education, discussion, and support around the use and effects of prednisone and other steroid treatments.
- Monday, July 1 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, July 18 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
August – Exploring your identity post-transplant
A discussion around finding new goals, employment, school, volunteering, new meaning to life
- Monday, August 5 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, August 15 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
September – Adjusting to loss and change post-transplant
Acknowledging the breadth, significance and impacts of loss and change in BMT survivorship.
- Monday, September 9 at 3:00 p.m. Central Time
- Thursday, September 19 at 1:00 p.m. Central Time
Register for BMT Survivorship Chats:
What to consider when choosing a support group
• Do I enjoy being part of a group?
• Am I ready to talk about my feelings?
• Do I want to hear other people’s stories and advice?
• Would it make me feel better to offer support to other patients, caregivers or parents?
Ask a group leader:
• How many people attend?
• Is it just for patients, caregivers or parents?
• Are others welcome?
• How often does the group meet?
• What is a typical meeting like?
Looking for something local?
Ask your transplant center social worker for help finding an in-person support group near you. Or, contact the Be The Match Patient Support Center at 1 (888) 999-6743 or firstname.lastname@example.org for help finding resources in your area.