Support continued federal funding
You can help ensure the continuation of federal funding for Be The Match programs! Let elected officials know that federal funding is necessary to continue our life-saving mission of delivering cures to patients with blood cancers and other deadly diseases.
Federal funding for the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program, operated by Be The Match, is determined by Congress each year. During the appropriations process, the Congress listens to constituents, evaluates the need for funding and takes into account the overall federal budget before deciding how federal funds are divided among various federal programs.
Federal funding saves lives
Every dollar allocated to Be The Match by the Congress goes to:
- Increasing the number of donors and cord blood units available through the national Be The Match Registry
- Helping patients navigate the complexities of the health care system when preparing for transplant
- Supporting research to discover and apply the best therapies and to improve patient outcomes
Congress has maintained its commitment to patients who need a life-saving transplant by allocating funds every year. Learn more about the federal support for Be The Match.
Current appropriations cycle
Congress began the appropriation process in early February, after the President released his federal budget for fiscal year 2019. Each Member of Congress may make requests about various federal programs that are funded through the annual appropriations process.
The programs operated by Be The Match, the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program and National Cord Blood Inventory, are funded through the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services (HHS), and Education and Related Agencies (Labor-HHS) Appropriations bill.
The appropriation process generally follows these steps:
Learn more about the fiscal year 2018 appropriations cycle:
- Be The Match appropriations requests
- President's budget for FY18
- Actions Congress has taken on the spending bill
- Dr. Jeffrey Chell, CEO testimony to the Appropriations Labor-HHS Subcommittee hearing
- National Marrow Donor Program®/Be The Match® Commends House Appropriations Committee for Maintaining Funding for Nation’s Bone Marrow and Cord Blood Registries
- Congress: make marrow transplants accessible for older Americans.
- What happens when Medicare won't pay for your life-saving cure?
- Medicare, cover seniors' stem-cell transplants.
- Fix Medicare rules to make bone-marrow transplants more accessible for older Americans.
- Marrow Donor Program Disappointed By Proposed Hospital Pay Rule.
- Bone Marrow-Donor Program to Ask Congress To Hike Pay For Transplants
- Congress, fund key cancer programs.
- Reader advocates additional funding sought for marrow donor registry.
- Op-Ed: Seniors Need Marrow Transplants, too.