Your resource center for NMDP/Be The Match Advocacy news.
Public policy is just as important as medical research in saving lives. And, advocacy is a key component of these lifesaving efforts.
Our public policy and government affairs work focuses on these areas:
- Protecting our Program's Federal funding through Appropriations
- Maintaining our status as the Nation's registry through Reauthorization
- Increasing health equity to remove barriers and help increase access for underserved populations
- Removing healthcare barriers for blood cancer and blood disease patients
- COVID-19 Response
- European Travel Ban Waiver
- On March 19, 2020, NMDP/Be The Match secured a waiver on the travel ban for couriers coming into the U.S. from Europe.
- CISA Guidance
- NMDP/Be The Match worked with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) to deem bone marrow and blood stem cell donors and couriers as part of the "Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce" advisory list.
- Lockheed Martin Travel Support
- Lockheed Martin steps up to help save lives and support NMDP/Be The Match by providing travel support for bone marrow and blood stem cell couriers during COVID-19.
- Canadian Border Travel Waiver
- U.S. Customs and Border Patrol Protection provides lifesaving transport clearance for bone marrow and blood stem cell products between the United States and Canada.
- NMDP/Be The Match comment letter on COVID-19 vaccine phase distribution
- NMDP/Be The Match sent a comment letter to the CDC recommending cellular therapy patients, caregivers, bone marrow and blood stem cell donors, and couriers are put in Phase 1 and Phase 1B of COVID-19 vaccine distribution. While we asked the CDC to put couriers in Phase 1, we later started asking all 50 state health departments to vaccinate couriers in the earliest possible phase of their vaccine rollout, no later than Phase 1b.
- NMDP/Be The Match applauds its
Senate and House champions for the simultaneous introduction of the TRANSPLANT
Act which reauthorizes the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program.
- The TRANSPLANT Act would reauthorize the C.W. Bill Young Cell Transplantation Program, which provides lifesaving bone marrow and umbilical cord blood transplants to patients in need.
- Written Testimony of NMDP/Be The Match Chief Policy Officer Brian Lindberg
- On July 29, 2020, NMDP/Be The Match Chief Policy Officer Brian Lindberg testified before the House Energy and Commerce Committee, Health Subcommittee. Read his remarks, "Improving Access to Care: Legislation to Reauthorize Key Public Health Programs."
- NMDP/Be The Match Urges to Quickly Pass Reauthorization Bill
- On September 24, 2020, Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) introduced the TRANSPLANT Act (S. 4762), to reauthorize the C.W. Bill Young Transplantation Program.
- U.S. Senate Passes S. 4672 the TRANSPLANT Act
- On December 14, 2020, The United States Senate passed the TRANSPLANT Act (H.R. 4764), which provides for the reauthorization of the C.W. Bill Young Transplantation Program.